Wednesday, January 10, 2007

In Remembrance

It is with a very heavy heart that I sit here tonight writing 'words of remembrance'. Because, it hurts just to realize that it really is true, that this dear and Gentle Man has left this world. I received word Friday evening that Joel Carpenter, age 42 had been killed that morning in a car accident. He was buried this morning, 11 a.m. My heart, thoughts, prayers and tears have been downstate - Sturgis, Michigan throughout the day. I was planning on driving on down yesterday morning, but due to weather conditions and scheduling conflicts I was unable to make it where my heart has been the past several days.
I met Joel when I worked at Thurston Woods Villa, an Assisted Living in Sturgis, MI. His caring, compassionate demeanor made him a favorite of all the residents. Men and women loved him and looked forward to seeing his smile to greet them in the mornings. One of those rare souls that gets along with everyone. He brightened the day just being who he was. It was a delight knowing him, watching him fall in love and marry Lisa (who also worked at TWV). Their wedding was a highlight of the entire facility. After the wedding at the church, they went to the Assisted Living to greet the residents and let them share in their special moment. They became a family and now he leaves not only Lisa, but a daughter and son. I wish I could wrap my arms them now. (and I will soon make that trip down so I can do just that).
My prayers are with each person who is feeling this pain (of a world )without Joel. I am just so thankful I was able to know him and share a small part of his life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home