Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Riding to Starvation Lake - Lake of the North







We enjoyed a good ride this afternoon. There's about 6 inches of snow outside, with a base on the trails of 2-3 inches. Its hard to really tell what the base is, so people stop asking! Please. I mean really...........how do you accurately measure the base? Tell me.
We headed out about 12:30 today. We had waited until it warmed up a bit. Morning temps here in Gaylord were a brisk 5 degrees. When we went into town at 9 it had warmed up to 6 degrees. By the time we hit the trail it was a warming 18 degrees. Just perfect for a trail ride.

We noticed some brave ice fishermen out a short distance on Otsego Lake when we came home from town. I would be a little nervous about that, the cold weather hasn't been here that long for solid ice cover.

We had a plan to ride over to Starvation Lake, which was a good plan since it gave us a good ride. The top picture is of the trail as we're headed to Starvation Lake. We stopped there for a bite to eat.While there, I discovered the secret to our long marriage - 35 years in March. We walked in and each went to the restroom. From the bathroom I went over and sat down at an empty table. There were several tables full of other riders. I see Mike come into the dining room. He walks over towards the table I am sitting at, my back was to him (I have decent perpheral vision) and notice him go to the table directly BEHIND me, pull the chair out.. DIRECTLy behind me and start to sit down. I turned around and propositioned him. He hadn't realized it was me! See, it was like a fresh new romance right there, after 35 years! Still a thrill.

He said because I had my coat off. What the heck? I don't wear that snomobile coat all the time! Then he said... well because my back was to him. whatever. Maybe I need to start wearing a name tag.

We stopped to get gas at the little station/store along Starvation Lake. New owners from last season and we wish them well. (top picture/right)

Headed from Starvation Lake on through Lakes of the North and home. We both agreed it was a good ride. The Blue Bear had been groomed making it a great smooth ride. Gaylord trails have not been groomed, but it was still decent riding. There were a few spots that were rough. Mainly on trail 7 out front here, along Old 27 South. The roller coaster hills along Mancelona Rd were rough also.
Why don't they put horns on snowmobiles? So when Mike (who leads most times) slows down and isn't off to the side before I run into his rear end, I could lay on the horn and warn him to get out of the way. OR when he's went in to pay for the gas, and I am sitting out on the sled... waiting, waiting and waiting (and I know he's not using the facilities.. he's doing what he does best - you guessed it! talking) I could lay on the horn.










Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home